Booking a Room with a View

Join me as I shuttle and shoulder through the worlds of literature, cinema, and the awards seasons attending both.

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Here in six hours or so, the 2009 Booker Prize winner will be announced. I'm almost 200 pages into Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall -- and it has my vote. I've never correctly predicted a winner, but she's the odds-on favorite to win, and it's a smashing good read: prose like stained glass, plot that crackles with tension, characters one loves and characters one hates, a world that feels real down to the cuts of its jewels and the salt in its sweat. Not to mention how moved I've been at certain of its passages (indeed, I'm reminded at times of Sigrid Undset's Kristin Lavransdatter, which is about as high a compliment as can be paid a novel).

No comments: